Chicken Tagine over Farro & Walnut Balsamic Reduction Recipe
Chicken Tagine: Moroccan dish of chicken braised in caramelized onions, ginger, garlic, lemon preserves, cilantro, Turmeric, coriander and cinnamon. Served over Farro that was cooked with caramelized onions, fresh herb, sautéed walnuts and a sweet balsamic reduction.
Write a review
3 hr 15 min
3 hr 15 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 296
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 33g
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 17g
Total Carbohydrates 55g
Dietary Fiber 7g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 whole diced onions
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp Saffron
- 2 tsp minced Ginger
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup diced lemon preserves (skin removal optional)
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of farro
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a pot.
- Add in onions, garlic and ginger.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on both sides.
- Add in spices and lemon preserves,lemon juice and cook with lid covered for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro, parsley and water.
- Coat chicken pieces with all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cover the pot and let the chicken cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Lower temperature to low heat and slowly cook the chicken for 1.5 hours.
- Flip chicken pieces and allow the chicken to cook some more until it is very tender.
- Turn off heat
- Bring Farro to a boil in a saucepan and add salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer closed lid for 15-30 minutes or until water is completely absorbed and grain is tender.
- Remove from heat and using a sautee pan, sautee onions in olive oil.
- Add the walnuts and sautee walnuts for a couple minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook on medium heat until acidity is cooked out of the vinegar about 25 minutes or until vinegar is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Fold in the cooked Farro and cook on very low heat so the mixture is bound.
- Remove from heat.
- This dish may be complicated if you previously never braised chicken. For assistance, please sign up for a virtual cooking class to learn one on one how to make this dish.
Creative Scratch Cooking http://www.creativescratchcooking.com/